Sunday, August 27, 2006

I have the best luck with men

An old friend decided to set me up with a random guy. One of those friend of a friend of a friend, I'm sure you'll like him sort of things. And I was bored/curious enough to acquiesce. It's not like we were meeting or anything, so any possible awkwardness would begin and end on the internets, as the Prez sez.

Dude's an NY attorney. We talk on the phone. He seems interesting. We exchange pics. He isn't repulsive. He tells me his plans for the day, which include jet skiing. I ask where. He says, why, in my backyard, of course. He then asks if he's sent me a pic of his backyard yet. I said he hadn't, berating myself for overlooking this gross negligence on his part. I mean, you judge a dude by his backyard, right? How else would you know he was the one?

So he gets on his webcam. No, I don't have webcam, because that's like meeting for real, but with much worse lighting.

Proceeds to show me his backyard. I'll say this. It was one helluva backyard. I could see the boats/jet skis pass by.

So he invites me over for a vacation in NY. After all, we've known each other for how long, a full ten minutes already? I tell him that I'd love to, but I'd first need some evidence to the effect that he wasn't a psycho killer/stalker. (Other psychos I can deal with, and have been known to in the past.)

So he asks me to google him. I google him. I find he's passed the bar exam. Yay! And I find his cousin's blog, and his cousin happens to be living in my city. His cousin's this famous-ish ex-NYT now Reuters reporter who's roughing it in the third world. In my hometown, specifically. So I'm thinking, hmm, no way he can be a psycho killer/stalker if his cousin's a famous reporter living in MY city. I mean, that's just the logical conclusion that anyone would draw, right?

And then it happens. Webcam drops. Oops. Our NY attorney's not wearing pants. You sick people, of COURSE he was wearing shorts. Naturally, I express some shock. He apologizes profusely, says it's a mistake, he'd never have done a thing like that intentionally. And then, as if to prove his point, he reveals to me that he's submissive. Yes, in the S & M sort of way. I politely excuse myself and hang up before he gets into details.

*sigh*

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, I finally got around to watching the Pinker Spelke debate. In my very humble opinion, Pinker kicked Spelke's ass. Of course, I was biased to begin with. Spelke's suggestion that the SATs should be modified so men and women score equally well on math is ludicrous.

Also, in a previous post, I said I wouldn't date a baron. Well, I would if his last name were Cohen.

Edit 2: Hanging up after talking to my mom is becoming increasingly difficult. I heard my dogs barking in the background. They have no idea I still exist, but I know they'll be their usual waggy-tailed clingy selves when I go back home.

Another update: Appliances tend not to work when they're not plugged in. I learned this the hard way.

And another update: Upon re-reading this post, I felt the need to go back and move some commas around. Yes, I'm pedantic. And I also reserve the right to switch inexplicably between past and present tense. Because I don't believe in time. Time's just a myth the media wants us to believe in. And no, I'm not pedantic/anal enough to treat media as a plural word. Here's why.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're really lucky. All my old friends suck! And the new ones too :(! Why can't one of them try to set me up with some friend(s) of their friends :(? And she can drop whatever she wants on the webcam, I won't at all mind ;).

And wow, Google's services now include aiding in matchmaking!

Good luck the next time he drops his webcam ;). No offense meant, but, attorney or psycho killer - I don't see much of a difference between the two :(.

And dude, your old profile pic kicks your new creepy-pic's ass (well, technically it's not possible, unless you have a split-personality :0).

Raindrop said...

Dodo, you're as crazy as he is if you think I'm ever speaking to him again.

Also, women don't tend to do that sort of thing on sites that don't require your age and credit card information.

I like creepy pics. But maybe I'll change it in a week or so when I start to get tired of it. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was trying to add some humor, which obviously has bombed :(.

I don't understand why women are so ashamed of their bodies that they need your credit card information to show it, always.

Unknown said...

Goolge helps people choose their partners, in crime or otherwise.

I think a lot of things don't work unless until they plug in.

People have time to debate on SAT Math? Here we debate on adult content that's it, education is so yesterday.

A and A said...

I feel your pain. I do. *sigh*

Anand said...

hahah!
Well that must have been quite a view!....hahah...am glad u decided not to speak to a man showing off his backyard..(no pun intended!)

spiderman! said...

the last update was revolutionary ! ;) on any other day it would have been nominated for a Nobel...!

Madame Mahima said...

what the FUCK.
you know whats hilarious..i was just telling a friend " I think I have a 'WELCOME FREAKSHOWS' sign on my forehead" and then i read this..
oh raindrops..what is this world coming to.
*shakes head*

Another Update: Appliances tend not to work when they're not plugged in. I learned this the hard way.
sigh. i fear we may be more alike than i had previously thought.
LOL

Raindrop said...

Dodo, see, the thing is, I would've totally gone with it if he were a Dom. :P

Imhunt, that's true about plugging things in. It's just that I'm a bit of an optimist..
And what's mera Bharat mahan debating on now? Adult content in what? Adult films? Khajuraho? I think the Khajuraho temples should be razed to the ground. Those ancient people were perverts! Because everybody knows that sex is gross. Ew!

Wishful, no you don't! How many men randomly drop their pants in front of you?

Anand, my biggest fear is, what if ALL men are like that? I only know about one or two who seem normal. The rest are complete loonies!

spiderman, look dude, if you're on the Nobel committee, just nominate me alright? There's a considerable bit of money in it for you. Oh, but if that doesn't cut it, I also invented gravity. Yes, invented it, not like Newton and that funny haired guy who just discovered it.

Mahima, I think the time is right for genetically modified men. Fuck, I'll even patent the idea and start working on it. Hm, let's see, so that's like three Nobel prize winning ideas in under 12 hours. I'm on a roll here.

A and A said...

*gulp* None thankfully so far. But I was not referring to dropped pants. I was referring in general to your luck with men. :P

Raindrop said...

Oh, well. C'est la vie, as the Germans say.

You'll find someone. We all will. Or we'll threaten to sue our maker(s).

Anonymous said...

All you men are loonies, all my girls are dumbers. Yay!

Nath said...

Raindrop:
Anand, my biggest fear is, what if ALL men are like that? I only know about one or two who seem normal. The rest are complete loonies!

Normality cannot be tolerated. These one or two infidels of yours must be eliminated/loonified immediately!

(Manic laughter.)

Raindrop said...

Dodo, what's wrong with dumb women? They're pretty harmless..

Nath, indeed. I've already started treating them. Small doses of me at regularly spaced intervals tend to loonify people rather quickly, but taken too fast, can result in fatal overdosage.

Anonymous said...

Dumb women are harmless as long as you don't become a victim of their dumbness. And then suffer in the pain of determining to whom the dumbness belonged to. It is a long story, which you definitely wouldn't be interested in.
Just kidding, it's a short and stupid story which I'll never tell :).

Drunken Master said...

Maybe Lawyer wants his girl to wear the pants in the relationship, what's wrong with that?

Raindrop said...

Dodo, you seem to understand feminine psychology well enough to know that if you say you'll never talk about it, I'm going to have to use every means conceivable to get the information out of you. So go on. What's the story?

Drunken, lol! Oh, nobody really minds some good old-fashioned role play every once in a while. He just seemed creepy.

Anonymous said...

No, honestly I never meant that. I wish I had at least some understanding of the feminine psyche. Maybe you can help me with that.
I'll definitely tell you my story the day I'll get really drunk. But not on a blog. I don't mind one or two people laughing at me, but not the whole world.

I totally LOL'd at your new tag line :). Any progress in finding who His Highness is?

Raindrop said...

dodo, e-mail it to me then!

And no, I do not possess the technical prowess or know-how to do that. :)

Anonymous said...

Try women.

Raindrop said...

Yes, sweetheart, but only if I know you'll be watching.

Unknown said...

Hold an audition, send me an invite.

Ekta said...

*Appliances tend not to work when they're not plugged in.*

hahah...so nice to know am not the only one who has these "aha moments"

Raindrop said...

Imhunt, naughty!

Ekta, don't fret. It happens to the best of us.

Twisted DNA said...

ROFL. So you caught him pants down, huh :)

Raindrop said...

twisted, it's probably the combination of being an attorney and having a nice backyard. There's no other rational explanation.

That Armchair Philosopher said...

not much i'm going to say about the guy you already haven't heard..

but i know what you mean about the dogs in the background. whenever i video-conf with my folks at home, i get all worked up about not being able to communicate with Snowy, even though he's sitting RIGHT there probably flummoxed at being able to see and hear me, but not smell me!