Thursday, December 07, 2006

Couldn't find a witty alliterative title, so fuck the title.

Where are all those fabled last minute airfare deals?

And I fell for it. Hook, line and mofo'ing sinker.

Update: I will never comprehend why desi travel agents seem to take it upon themselves to dispense general life advice as they look for your tickets.

'Beta, you should've booked earlier, naa? We could've given you super rate, SUPER!
Now it's peak season, naa? So it's going to be VERY difficult for us. Next time, naa, please book your tickets in advance, okay beta?'

And,

'Oh, you DON'T want to buy a $3000 cattle-class ticket on Kazakh Airways? It's up to you. But you're not going to get a better ticket than that. You take my word for it. I even tried to get you that 16 hour long stopover at Almaty because they have EXCELLENT duty free shopping. It's mostly goat cheese, but I did that for YOU, because you're my valued customer. You're not going to get ANY tickets now, I can guarantee it!'

Yeah. She actually said she could guarantee it. I wish I'd taken her up on that offer. I'm very interested to see what such a guarantee would look like.




Yes, I DO happen to have some time on my hands this fine freezing Friday evening. Throwing large sticks into the frozen pond to check how frozen it REALLY is gets old after a while. Which works out well, because that's when frostbite sets in. All I really wanted was to make sure the pond was safe to ice skate on. Not that I was planning to ice skate on it, it was just a matter of satisfying the sort of intellectual curiosity that our society relies on for its progress, y'know, for things like electricity and PS3 and pizza topped with potato and hot sauce, which I personally consider one of the most important inventions of the modern age.

P.S. Apologies to the glorious nation of Kazakhstan. I know that Cohen dude made fun of you too, but it's just that Kazakhstan is a funny name for a place, rivaled only by Burkina Faso in funniness, which in turn is rivaled by its own capital, which, incidentally, is where my future job search might end up taking me.

Ougadougu to you too.

Update: Mommy MAY have just found me a ticket at a price I'd never pay. I love my mommy. And now, if things work out, all that remains is to hope that I have better luck than these people.

Jet Airways Rant

Flying Circus (NWA Rant)

And www.makemytrip.com is full of all manner of shit.

16 comments:

That Armchair Philosopher said...

yeah, i NEVER go for the advertised deals. Always go through travelocity or some such, or fall back on the reliable ol travel agent. you're much more likely to get deals there!

Raindrop said...

Travelocity???!!! $6752!! @#$%@!#**#$!! @$#@%$#$!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write on your blog. You seem to be one hell of a ballsy chick! Hot! But given that you're a feminist, you'd probably kick me in the balls if I tried anything with you. Feminists do love kicking guys in the testicles, don't they?

;-))

That Armchair Philosopher said...

whaaaa. I didnt say use a DESI TRAVEL AGENT! what in the name of all thats holy did you go and do that for? I did so *once* and you know what happened? I got booked onto an AI flight from LAX to Delhi which got CANCELLED. I got a complimentary hotel stay - which sucked, and free food, which sucked even more. What was worse? I was never told the flight was cancelled. And, the flight I finally got on was overbooked - think of the Indian railways during rush hour. and make it worse.

Travelocity, I admit I haven't used for international travel, but for within the US - last I used it was for a conference in Indiana - it was brilliant. no hassles at all.

so did you get tickets or what? and where're you off to, if i might ask?

nevermind said...

I hear Almaty's full of handsome Kazakh Stans... Sorry, am in a working Saturday kinda mood, not a v. good one. Indian travel agents are Rat's arse #'£$%^&*()@><#### self-fellating m...fuckers of the highest order, there's a pigeyedlittlegreasywanker in London who swindled me out of 400 quid when my mom was dying, and he knew my mom was dying, the bastard. I will bump into him in India someday and ... nothing has ever made me more bloody angry in my entire life. Anyway, I'm getting extremely worked up already, so I'll stop.

I've started booking backwards, i.e. open returns from India when I'm there.

Drunken Master said...

Hey, my mom just bought her ticket online 14 days before she flew and came down on Virgin Atlantic.

While on the topic of flights, I just got my bags today, a whole 4 days after I arrived. I'm still finishing up my post, so here's some advice in the mean time. Spend the money and fly a half-decent European carrier. You won't regret it. Except of course NorthWest.

Drunken Master said...

I meant to also say, there's sure to be a ticket out there, try www.kayak.com, that's where my mom got hers.

A and A said...

Ah well I hope you get your hands on a ticket babe!!! All the best! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Gorgeous,

Now that you have your ticket (well, almost), this rant is irrelevant. I'm going to miss you.

Unknown said...

aha,someone's flying down to India. Good, we need bad ass PhDs here or alteast those attempting a doctorate.

Sriram said...

Wooo! I'm flying to the motherland as well for the holidays! (well, AFTER Christmas but anyhoo..) Suprisingly, I had a pretty neat deal on Malaysia Airlines and yes, it was through a desi travel agent. The ones I used before were horrible twats but this one was pretty decent! I can pass on the details if you need. ;)

Nath said...

Good, we need bad ass PhDs here or alteast those attempting a doctorate.

Ass PhDs, eh? You can get a doctorate in anything these days.

Seriously, someone explain the expression 'bad ass' to me. Can you put any two insults together to make a complement? Was Einstein a malodorous troglodyte? I digress.

I think everyone has their share of airline horror stories. I have one with AA, Delta and United all working together in an attempt to lose my bags and blow me up. So it goes.

Madame Mahima said...

ahh i have come across some truly crazy ass travel agents..
this one dude started yelling at me and my friends about how its OUR fault that they screwed up our tickets..and when i calmly said 'No, sir its YOUR fault.' he got up, a few veins bulged on his forehead and he took a step towards us like he wanted to bitchslap us.
i wanted to SHIT myself but calmly got up and said 'girls. we are not staying a minute longer. you are in a LOT of trouble' and ran the fuck outta there!

crazy bastards.

Emma Blowgun said...

Aiyyo! My most glorious moment ever was at trivia night when the jeopardy question was "What is the capital of Burkina Faso?" and my team was trailing but I knew the answer (which, of course, is Ougadougou!) and we won first prize and a case of beer. Ah...good times, fond memories.

That Armchair Philosopher said...

@mahima - hahaha, you RAN out. hilarious

Madame Mahima said...

army (the armchair philosopher, yes, YOU are 'army) i DIDNT run! i walked really really fast out of there..i mean pfft, come on, running would have completely ruined the effect i was going for yknow?
i walked.fast.