Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I made that!:)



I'm quitting academics and becoming a chef.

Also, I bumped into not-so-hot-dude in the library yesterday. It was weird.

Me: Hey! (My chirpiest tone, after I realized he'd seen me. Seen me see him, that is.)
S: Hey zere, I haf been so busy.
Me: Yeah, me too. Insanely busy!
S: Ja, very very busy.
Me: I know, gotta run now, I'm that busy!

So J, the flatmate, announced that it was time for us to host a party. I nodded enthusiastically. She then said she would HAVE to invite S, and asked if I wanted to put it off for a while. I rolled my eyes as if to say, yeah, like that day meant ANYTHING to me. Oh, she could invite him ANYTIME she wanted to. I'm SO TOTALLY cool with it! The other J suppressed a snigger. Funnily enough, the other J thinks S is cute! I just find dark-haired desi dudes far more attractive. Probably one of those cultural things.

Argh. I have to CODE for tomorrow! And I don't freakin' KNOW how to code! I have no problem with Hello World type programs, but sadly, this isn't one of those. And my only 'coding' experience comes from when I was 14, and passed encrypted notes to my friends during Civics. (Oh, this is from my civics book. 'India has a large population because sex is the only form of recreation for people living in rural areas'. That was the only interesting sentence in that whole book!')

My encrypted notes often had only two words in them. I'd go from alphabets to numbers with a direct substitution thingy. Then I'd convert those numbers to base 26, so I could use alphabets to cleverly disguise numbers, which were really just alphabets in disguise. Yes, I'm devious.

And yes, no one understood my notes. I'd end up giving them my message after class, VERBALLY, and my offers to explain my coding system were met with icy glares.

Yes, I was a freak.

I was such a math wannabe as a teenager! Like all good Indian kids, I read that famous Ramanujam/1729 story and tried to force myself to break random license plate numbers down into sums of cubes and squares. It was a huge effort for me, so I gave up in about a day. I also tried to teach myself calculus from good old Britannica at the age of thirteen because I read a spy thriller about a guy who had learned calculus at twelve. Didn't have too much success there either.

Oh, and in other news, I've found religion. Yes, Nath, you were right. God told me that if I couldn't get the damn code finished in two hours, I'd just have to quit school, marry, and cook awesome meals for my husband. And strive to be the perfect wife. To me, that would be a lot easier than coding. I love God. He really DOES have a plan.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry, very much so. Do tell me if you fly down, I'm a food whore. Oh I pinged you on Yahoo a few days ago.
What's in the not so beautiful glass?

Madame Mahima said...

you are SUCH a hoot! :D

the pie/rosti thingie looked yummy..how about the recipe you MEANIE.

i hated math in school..i failed it all the time till i had an epiphany (they're kinda painful). anyway i realised i had to practice..so i did...got my A's and then thought 'thank god i dont have to do this crap anymore'..
now i am living a happy math-free life.
(i think i just lost the plot)

im sure the same thing goes for writing code too :D

A and A said...

My bloody civics text book never had such a sentence. I would have rembered. Gah.

Zaphod said...

(not relevant but still)
one of your commanders tried to kill me! Keep that poetry under your hat!! (but not the blog please)

Drunken Master said...

Thing looks a little like a Knish. Care to tell us what it was?

What is the Ramanujan story?

You could learn calculus from the Britannica?

Civics story from my childhood:
Teacher: Why did the President/PM call for an Emergency?
Gorilla (bored out of his mind): Because he had loose motions.

Teacher bowled over laughing, students laughing at her. Best 10 minutes in a boring Civics class ever!

Anonymous said...

"...dark-haired desi dudes"
What about dark-haired + big-brown-eyed?
Also, dark-haired + big-brown-eyed = igkhi :P.

Ms. Al Hijab, you sure you're not stalking Pedro Sanchez?

Girls with good coding skills totally kick ass, but I've only seen very few(=2) of them till now :(. I don't know what raw material went into the production of their brains, but most of the girls in my undergrad class used to learn computer programs by heart! I mean, WTF!
Two true incidents:
Instructor: Write a program to print "Hello World!" hundred times.
Girl1's program:
...
println("Hello World!");
println("Hello World!");
println("Hello World!");
...
She typed it a hundred times!

Instructor: What's the color of C++?
Girl2: Blue.
(That was the background color of the text editor :O)

I hate sexists more than I hate 'Bush, The Devil', so spare the anger.

Code vs. Drop->Marry->Cook->Perfect
I don't think you quite understand God's plan here.

Nath said...

dodo:
Instructor: What's the color of C++?

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived, but I have no clue what that question is supposed to mean.

Raindrop said...

Imhunt, not so beautiful glass?? WTF? They're the nicest ones I have! Oh, it's empty. Filling it would've ruined the optics of the view from the balcony.

And yay, you tagged me!! My first TAG! Can't wait to get to it!:D

Mahima, I interpret hoot as a compliment. Even if you were mocking me.

That's actually just a tortilla espanola, but experts say it takes months to perfect. I perfected it in two tries. Oh, I managed to get that code written, and I actually even enjoyed it!

Wishful, then I assume you didn't take the ICSEs? I wonder if the book still exists..

Me, that commander was me. I like to play an active role in my army.
Also, I love mindless violence.

Drunken, a tortilla espanola. So Hardy visited Ramanujan at the hospital, and remarked that his taxi bore the rather dull number, 1729. Ramanujan told Hardy that it was hardly unremarkable, as it was the smallest number that could be expressed as the sum of two different cubes. 12,1 and 9,10.

You could learn calc from the Britannica if you're a math genius. I'm not, so I had to learn it the hard way. In class. I learned everything else from the Britannica, though.

Yup, there some motions one must never pass while in parliament.

Raindrop said...

Dodo, what's igkhi? And why would I be stalking Pedro Sanchez?

I'd have done that too if I didn't know I could use a loop. I probably don't understand god's plan, but I don't understand your inequality(?) either.

Nath, I don't understand the question either. Suddenly, I'm very confused.

sac said...

god's plan is all about the insects.
he's watching how they deal with the human problem.
and yes, they will be judged on their tactics.
malaria, all agree, was a bit of a low blow.

APOO said...

Ah! Code! I love to code! Will code for food!

So, you made that. Were you the only one who ate it?

It looks like one of those heat em in 2 mins kinda thingies!

I'll take cover now

Anonymous said...

This is really embarrassing :(.

Raindrop:
'igkhi' is the result of performing illogical set operations on the letters in that equation. I don't even remember how/why I came up with that.
Pedro Sanchez was supposed to be the Spanish dude whom you've been 'bumping' into so often.
Inequality? Where? Please stop confusing me!

Nath:
That question wasn't supposed to mean anything. Well, unless you consider the color of the hard-drive platters on which the bytes of the compiler reside. But I don't think our instructor had the skill to think in those terms. He was just trying to confuse us.

Raindrop said...

sac, I disagree. I think it's about cacti. But let's not let religious differences get in the way of this conversation, although a God with a cactus plan is obviously superior.

Apoo, I made it. And I was the only one who ate it, but I've got an ex who occasionally lurks here who can vouch for its deliciousness because I've made it for him too. After we broke up. It just goes to show what an amazing person I am, because it wasn't even poisoned.

CrypticDodo, he wasn't Spanish. :)

Anonymous said...

And I've eaten that! :(

KIDDING. Don't weep.

Anonymous said...

I'm an ex now? AN ex? One of many random EXs?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it wasn't poisoned. I suppose that's the reason why you've been feeding me spinach lately.

Scritch said...

i distinctly remember in the 3rd standard looking at my final math's exam paper and really struggling to figure out what a couple of strange words were. What is this.. 'addition' and 'subtraction'? division..? what? I don't get it? It might as well have been telegu.

Scritch said...

oh dear, an ex has been reading your blog. I'm warned mine to stay well away. Luckily the ex isn't interested in anything I've written....I hope.

Raindrop said...

Me, shut the fuck up and be grateful you weren't poisoned. Asshole. My blog, my rules.

Scritch, addition/subtraction and multiplication are overrated anyway. Pocket calculators can do those things, and yet I've never seen one actually rise on the corporate ladder.
The ex claims he loves reading my blog, and I love his flattery. Does yours actually stay away, or is he a sneaky stalking bastard like mine is?